Monday, May 10, 2010

Scholastic Summer Reading Program

I finally went through my last book order for the 2009-2010 school year from Scholastic, and was given a few fliers for the Student Summer Reading Challenge. After checking it out online I would like to try it out with my own class. I am going to send a flyer home with all of my students during the last week of the school year. Here is the link to get started: Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge.

I remember spending my summers during my early elementary years reading voraciously to earn a cheeseburger from McDonald's through our local library's summer reading program. I thought it was the coolest thing. Maybe that is why I love reading, and teaching others to read. Thanks to my mom for the support and encouragement to earn those cheeseburgers. I'm sure that it couldn't have been easy to keep returning to the library for more books or cheeseburger certificates.